Saturday, January 31, 2009

Just Do Your Job?

The UPS man just rang my doorbell to deliver some books I ordered. He knows me because of my addiction to Amazon.com, so instead of saying "Have a nice day!" he asked me what I'm writing today. My answer was, "I'm not sure yet. Something about how to do your job better or how to enjoy your work more...something positive for the people who feel trapped in jobs they don't love by the economy."

He said he couldn't help me because he loves his job...which, by the way, shows in how he does it. I asked him why? What makes being a UPS driver the perfect job for him?

"If I do everything the way I was trained, the way the company set it up, I am sure of spending my day talking with happy customers. I've worked for companies where I spent the whole day apologizing for bad company policy or shabby service, where the only time I got to use my own discretion was when I was breaking the rules. With UPS, you just do your job and at the end of the day, you feel proud of what you did."

Wow.

Don't we all want to work in a job like that? A job where company policies tell us how to make the customer happy, instead of preventing us from giving the customer what they want? A job where the people we meet smile at us, instead of complaining? A job that we look forward to doing again tomorrow?

Lucky UPS man.